Tired of reading asset maintenance articles that always seem to say the same thing, but still leave you wondering what good are they? Then perhaps it is time to take in a new perspective. It may sound strange, but the answer is in the questions.
Pipeline Asset Maintenance Management Questions
The following set of questions are intended to be a health check assessment.
- When was the last time your procedures for handling work tickets, writing work orders and performing maintenance were updated, changed or created?
- How many manual procedures are there versus digital procedures, such as remote field data capture? What is the average turnaround time for data from the field to the office?
- Is there a work flow map or BMP that details how maintenance work is performed and processed from inception to final inspection? Or is the work flow more reactionary than planned?
- What percentage of the maintenance team time is spent searching for approvals and putting out fires versus performing planned duties and maintenance? Most operators have an optimistic 80% planned and 20% reactive split.
- How often do you inspect assets or equipment for optimal working condition? What is the standard schedule to remain in compliance? Are you following the mandatory minimums outlined if your pipeline is federally regulated? Do you know which pipelines fall under which rules for “fit for service”.
- Do you know if your team is working efficiently and do you know if the work has been completed? How long does it take to process a work request or what is the average time to repair a broken valve etc.?
- How do you determine if an asset or piece of equipment should be replaced? Do you know how old it is and when it was last tested? Did you track the maintenance and repair costs versus the cost of replacement?
- Does your maintenance department make use of digital solutions or mobile technology that can reduce the time from generation of a work ticket to work order completion?
- How many maintenance strategies do you employ? Do you rely on predictive insights, condition changes and preventive maintenance? When do you use each one and why? Are decisions made strictly on maintenance budgets?
- How much of your equipment maintenance is dependent on the knowledge of one or two people? Is there a knowledge gap or a valuable supervisor getting ready to retire?
The most efficient ways to maintain asset integrity are by repairing potential failures before they occur and creating continued pipeline maintenance plans. G2 Integrated Solutions implements processes and programs that effectively address key elements of pipeline maintenance, repair and remediation planning.
Our engineers and technicians provide the quantifiable information needed to ensure continued operation within established risk and regulatory parameters. A good operations consultant can get a feel for an operation in just a few moments. A fresh set of eyes that have years of experience with pipeline assets for many different organizations will always help. Although each operation is different, the same principles of understanding work flow will apply..
Maintenance Planning & Field Data Capture
Every organization will respond to the preceding questions differently. Most will say that everything is fine—especially if their boss is listening. Suffice to say that if the answers include more than one, I’m not sure, Not often, Its working fine as is, or if you have started squirming in your seat, you may be in need of a health check or gap analysis. This will help you get a better idea of what could be done and how to optimize maintenance operations. Upgrading the tools you use will bring greater efficiencies and lower M&I costs.
Compliance is more than simply meeting requirements—it’s also a key step toward cost optimization. G2-IS offers expertise in systems safety, risk and operations experience needed to help navigate the complicated regulatory framework. Our first-hand knowledge of behind-the-scenes compliance intricacies gives clients the interpretation needed to minimize exposure to liabilities, reduce monetary risks, remain compliant with existing and future assets, and pass audits. Our insider know-how also helps manage reputation for compliance, an advantage that should not be discounted.
We design tailored software that supports your unique business processes. This might include digitizing materials like inspection manuals, so you can reference information easily from a mobile device, such as a tablet. We use our own technology expertise to build mobile solutions for ourselves, helping us constantly advance our fieldwork. Contact us today and see how our software and services can help your organization.